Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hawks at St. Dunstan's



When I was called as rector of St. Dunstan’s almost six years ago, I received a note from the previous rector Margaret Rose congratulating me and telling me what a great congregation I was going to. And, she added, “You’ll have the best office in Christendom.”

She was right. Looking out my office window I have watched a line of fluffy goslings waddle behind their parents through the Beech Grove. Sitting in the rocking chair on the porch outside my office I was privileged to watch those same parents teach their offspring to take off and land from the pond.

I’ve seen a turtle slowly make its way across the parking lot. I’ve seen pileated woodpeckers, blue jays, blue birds, and cardinals. One morning Maggie and I watched in wonder as an entire flock of cedar waxwings arrived and plucked every berry over what had been a laden bush outside my office window.

There have been foxes and coyotes and even a deer. But nothing has been quite as exciting as the hawks this week.

Several people told me on Sunday that they had seen hawks in front of the church. The next morning I saw them, too. One was perched on a low, slender branch of a little tree by the parking lot. Another was on the ground. (Wikipedia says they sometimes do hunt from the ground.)

My arrival did not concern them in the least, and I stood and watched them for a long time. The next morning when I arrived they were perched on the light pole. Later that morning three of them chased each other from tree to tree, screeching at each other.

The next day I brought my camera and was rewarded. As I pulled into the parking lot I immediately saw a huge red shouldered hawk, breast puffed out in the cold, sitting in a tree. I rolled down the window, reached for the camera and started shooting.
I got out of the car and the hawk flew a few feet to another tree. Then there was a swoosh and another one flew by. I started clicking before I realized what it was I had just captured on film – the hawks were mating.

When they were finished they both sat on the branch for a while, their feathers a little ruffled and rumpled (as you can see in the photos). Then they both flew off.
Native American spirituality says the hawk is an omen of good and a messenger from the spirit world. Hawks see things others miss. Native Americans believe that hawks, with their keen eyesight and perspective from above the earth, call us to open our eyes, pay attention, and gain perspective on what is going on around us.

In the days ahead I’ll be paying attention to the hawks, trying to find their nest, and hoping to see their young in the spring.

I give thanks to God for the beauty of our surroundings at St. Dunstan’s, and for all of God’s creatures who share this bit of earth and sky with us.

1 comment:

christinembird said...

Tricia: I have often thought that we should make a "life list" of birds spotted on St. Dunstan's campus, the same way that serious birders make a "life list" of all the birds they've seen in their lifetime.

Fellow parishioners: Does anyone have an interest in this idea?

--Christine Bird