Sunday, March 14, 2010

From Portland to Atlanta to Jerusalem and Beyond

By The Rev. LTC Peter E. Bauer MS USAR

Year ago, when I was about 13, I would walk out the Fifth Avenue entrance of the City Hall in Portland. My mother worked there as a senior auditor. I would visit her frequently in her office after school. I would also visit her friends Mary Conzleman, Lydia Lucker, and Hattie Yamada who would become like aunts to me. All three attended my ordination service more than 30 ago. They were all strong women who had strong opinions about everything and I cherish that they were a vital part of my life growing up.
One afternoon, I walked out of the Fifth Avenue entrance with its Italian Renaissance architecture and at the corner of Fifth And Jefferson, I stared up at the gleaming modern Georgia-Pacific building and I thought about Georgia and I thought about what it would be like to visit Atlanta.
Many years later, I had the opportunity to visit the Five Points area and the Carter Center and the King Memorial and I thought this is very OK. About a year later, I visited Atlanta for a conference and I stayed overnight at Fort McPherson, and I remember standing outside the house of then Lieutenant General Russell Honore (of Katrina fame) and thinking again that this would be a interesting place to explore.
So when I arrived in Atlanta last year to work for the Army Reserve Warrior And Family Assistance Center, I was really looking forward to being here. The words of Jane Butler were still in my ears: “Go to St. Dunstan’s, it’s a good place."
Boy, she was certainly right. I was hooked the first Sunday when I saw the beautiful grounds, the soothing interior of the church, and heard the wonderful teaching of Joe Monti, the welcoming smile and pastoral hospitality of Maggie Harvey, the warm, quirky wit of Tim Black and the absolutely wonderful sermons of Patricia Templeton. Indeed, St. Dunstan’s has been a powerful, enriching place to be for this United Church Of Christ minister and Army/ VA Social Worker.
Atlanta has been like a big Portland for me. Lots of trees, which I really appreciate, and ;iberal politics-which I also appreciate. But more importantly there has been a real sense of kindness, thoughtfulness, compassion and concern which has repeatedly touched me this past year. There has also been the art, the symphony, all of the organizations like Veterans Heart Georgia and Care for the Troops that I have been involved with and the training on Spirituality and Combat Warfare that I have facilitated at Candler School of Theology and Clayton State University that have really enriched my life.
In I Kings 19, the angel comes to Elijah twice and says “get up and eat. You need this because without it you will not be sustained for the long journey ahead
I am very thankful for the nourishment that I have sustained this year. St. Dunstan’s and Atlanta are now a part of my “sacred ground," as sacred to me as Portland or Princeton, N.J. or Bulverde, TX. I now return to the Lone Star state for my new adventure as the Chief of the Marriage And Family Therapy Program, Department Of Social Work, Carl Darnell Army Medical Center Fort Hood, TX. I will be back to practicing psychotherapy and I anticipate listening to a lot of further psychological turmoil and fall out from the terrible shootings that occurred there last November.
Lent is about pilgrimage; it is about journey. In Jesus’ case, the journey is to Jerusalem, to that sacred place, where his death will occur at the hands of the Romans. But even more profoundly, it is the new life that will emerge as a result of the Resurrection of Jesus that will transform everything.
I feel blessed that I have been transformed by you. I am counting on coming back to visit to Atlanta and St. Dunstan’s and will welcome your presence as well in Central Texas. Remember, Fort Hood is only an hour and a half from Austin.
May our journeys to our own Jerusalems (those sacred places wherever they may be) be a blessing and a source of great transformation for all of us.
Blessing and Joyous Easter and New Life To All!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Peter, I will miss seeing you up front in your "place" on Sundays! Bon Voyage on your new assignment back in Texas. Who is Jane Butler? Our wonderful Jane Butler who was at St. Dunstan's for ten years??
Jeanne Taylor

Steve Mark said...

Jeanne,
Yes, your wonderful Jane Butler who was at St. Dunstan's for ten years.
Blessings, Peter

Unknown said...

So, Peter, where did you meet Jane??? Jeanne