Wednesday, July 2, 2008

NY Times Review of "The Shack"

Here's an article I read last week, but didn't comment on until today. I'd heard about this book, The Shack, from my principal and from some students. They all liked it, but I haven't heard much about it since then. Evidently, this is a big deal.

My favorite line from the article is "Even people initially put off by the book’s characterization of God as a black woman were won over." Are there a lot of people sitting in their arm chair reading the book, only to throw it across the room?

"God appearing as a black woman?! That's preposterous! Everyone knows God is white, with long hair and a flowing white beard only! Sometimes he appears in tortillas in Mexico, or on the side of barns at night, but never as a woman, let alone a black woman."

I guess some people can only suspend disbelief so much before they stop reading.

No comments: