Monday, July 7, 2008

Tricia's Eulogy at Billi Neal's Funeral

I'm going to put most of Tricia's sermons up here the Monday after she delivers them; they are also available here on the church's website. Yesterday's sermon is not up yet, but Tricia did put up her eulogy from Billie Neal's funeral. As Jeanne Taylor told me, it is a wonderful eulogy that captures Billie well.


"Making All Things New" by The Rev. Patricia Templeton

We are gathered here today to celebrate the life and mourn the death of our beloved Billie, and to commend her into the care of a gracious and loving God.

The last conversation I had with Billie was last week, about four days before she died. I went into her room and could see that she had declined significantly from just the day before.
“How are you doing today, Billie?” I asked.
“They say I am supposed to be dying,” she replied in a weak voice.
This was not the first time “they” had made that pronouncement in the last 10 months. At least twice in that period, Billie had been wheeled into surgery that doctors cautioned she might not survive.
And there was the time last fall when a toxic staph infection raged through her already weakened body. She might not make it through the weekend, doctors warned. That Sunday I announced in church that Billie was gravely ill, and that her family was gathering.
As I headed to the hospital that afternoon for what I thought would be a solemn occasion, my phone rang. It was Billie’s longtime friend, Betty Whittier.
“I know what you said in church today,” Betty said. “But I just left the hospital, and Billie’s sitting up, eating, and bossing everyone around. She’s back!”
But last week it was clear that this time “they” were right, and Billie knew it.
As she lay there with her eyes closed, I asked, “Are you scared?”
Her eyes flew open and for a moment the familiar twinkle was back in them as she looked directly at me and said, this time in a strong, clear voice – “Wouldn’t you be?”
It was classic Billie, one last zinger in a friendship that had been full of back and forth repartee.
Knowing that her question demanded an answer, an honest one, I admitted that yes, I would be scared; that if we are honest, we are always scared when faced with the unknown.
And we don’t know with any certainty the details of what lies beyond this life. But, I told Billie, I trust that the God who has been present with us in this life will not abandon us in death.
Billie, who had experienced God’s presence in very tangible and palpable ways, smiled and nodded.
I firmly believe that although she had moments of anxiety at facing the unknown, that Billie was also ready, that she trusted that the God who searches us out and knows us would continue to be with her after this life is over.
Billie’s spunk and energy and enthusiasm for life sustained her and kept her going long after many of us would have stopped.
But in the last months it was increasingly clear that she was deeply tired, worn out in body and, at times, in spirit.
But now we trust she is in a place where, as our prayer book says, “life is changed, not ended.” A place where the book of Revelation says, “Death will be no more, mourning and crying and pain will be no more.”
A place where, we are told, God is “making all things new,” including worn out bodies and tired spirits.
So now, dear Billie, may the angels lead you into paradise.
May all the saints rise up to greet you.
And may you be made new once more.
Amen.

1 comment:

JeanneMomma/Gram said...

I just re-read Tricia's eulogy for Bille and found it at once sad, comforting, and hopeful. I think of Bille and her beloved Bob close together in the Memorial Garden, where pain and suffering are no more. The memorial service was beautiful.