Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ode to our Fox

For the last several months a frequent visitor to St. Dunstan's has been a red fox. He has shown up for Sunday School, watching the kids from the courtyard. One memorable morning he appeared for the 8:30 service, watching the congregation during the sermon (and they were all watching him, making me wonder why no one was looking at me while I preached!). Periodically during the week we would see him trotting across the yard, or sunning himself in the grass. I think all who have seen him have felt an attraction to this beautiful creature with his alert ears, bright eyes, luxurious red coat and long fabulously bushy tail.
Last night (Tuesday) about 8:30 we were about to go out the front door after a vestry meeting when we suddenly stopped. There, on the sidewalk right in front of the door, was the fox. Something didn't seem right. Several people were very close to him, yet he did not move. His breathing seemed labored. We opened the door and he finally painfully moved to the grass. It was obvious he was sick or hurt, badly. There was nothing we could do. We called wildlife control and left a message. They never returned the call. After waiting around a while, watching him we finally went home. When I arrived at church this morning he was gone.
I think all who have seen this fox in the last months have felt blessed by his companionship. It felt like he had chosen us and this place. And last night he came here, to the door of the church, for sanctuary, for healing, maybe for a peaceful place to die. I wish I could have anointed him. I wish I could have given him last rites. I wish I could have stroked his head and told him everything would be okay. Maybe he was not as sick or hurt as we thought he was. Maybe he is okay now. I hope so. But wherever he is, I hope he is restored to wholeness and health and peace. And I thank God for sharing this wonderful creature with us.
Tricia Templeton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tricia - Thanks for this beautiful Ode to the Fox. I have been feeling so sad for him since we saw him in what seemed to be so much pain Tuesday. I pray that he is at peace and no longer in pain, wherever he might be. Renee'