Wednesday, October 14, 2009

White Man’s Chocolate and the Evolution of Racism

When my son Vincent was in grade school at Horizons School on Dekalb Avenue, I gave him a valentine. It was the same valentine I gave my boys every year—a box of chocolate and a teddy bear. Because Vincent and Wolfie were spending the night at their dad’s house on Valentine Day eve, I did not get to see the immediate reaction to the gift, which I had bought with love and expectation of, well, frankly thanks.

However, when I picked the boys up to take them to school the next morning and asked about their gifts, the reception from Vincent was quite cold. “How did you like your valentines?” I asked expectantly.

“It was okay,” Vincent replied.

“What do you mean ‘okay’?” I prodded.

“Mom,” Vincent said with a note of disgust, “that chocolate? That bear?”

“What do you mean ‘that chocolate and that bear’?” I asked.

“Come on, Mom,” my eldest son spat in disbelief. “White Man’s Chocolate? Don’t you think that’s a little racist?”

“Vincent, Whitman’s Chocolate. Whitman’s,” I corrected him.

It was a misunderstanding that I shared in Sunday School last week. The topic was: Justice and Race: White Privilege, Affirmative Action, and the Obligations of Reparation. The reason I shared the anecdote was that I thought it was a good example of how the generations in my family had changed with respect to racism. From my grandmother’s black Aunt Mary, who became a ‘family’ member as a result of losing her arm to a firecracker thrown by my grandmother’s father as a boy. To my mother running away from boarding school to go freedom riding with Dr. King. To my own experience at Spring Street School using the “N” word and spending that same night alone in my room without any supper. And finally to Vincent’s vigilance against racist chocolate.

But these were my stories. Others were told in Sunday School — and others were untold in that venue. These personal experiences spilled out into coffee time after church and into the parking lot. I heard at the vestry meeting last night that the conversation was carried on later Sunday evening at the welcome party for our new choir master Tom Gibbs held at Bruce Lafitte’s house. Indeed, as the vestry waited for everyone to arrive, we continued to share our memories of racism growing up in the South and points beyond. In short, the conversation begun by Joe Monti in Sunday School is far from over. And I invite all St. Dunstan’s parishioners to continue the conversation here on the St. Dunstan’s blog. 

1 comment:

Bruce Lafitte said...

Sibley, I appreciate your post! I guess I had left the room to "suit up" for Choir when you told this wonderful story. I'm sorry I missed it.

It was, indeed, a great discussion on Sunday. As a result of it and your post I am inspired to write a reparation of my own. I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to make proper amends for something that happened in grammar school but this forum may be my next best chance. I have lived all my life in Atlanta and went to R. L. Hope grammar school. [It was located where Tower Place is now.] When I was in 7th grade, a classmate sold me a black baseball bat that he called his "N" knocker. Later that day, I showed it to another classmate and called it by that same name. As soon as the words left my mouth, I looked down the hall and saw one of our custodians looking at me. She did not look angry, but the extreme sadness on her face has never left me. She probably wondered how many generations it would take for racism to end. I wish I could face this woman now and ask for her forgiveness. I would like to tell her that I have changed and that I make a quality decision every day to try, by God's grace, to treat all people with respect and dignity. I also wish I could tell her that my younger son [also named Vincent] had a close circle of friends throughout school that included a Muslim (the Best Man in his wedding), a Jew, an African-American, a woman whose parents are Hindu and Jewish and a few WASPs also. Such diversity in his closest circle of friends, just one generation from my own, gives me some real hope for the future in how we relate to one another.

Thanks for this opportunity to share.

Bruce