Thursday, November 19, 2009

Charlie, the Evangelist

By Sarah Hancock

Many of you who were at church on Sunday the 15th got to meet the adorable lost dog who was captured by Michelle in our parking lot. We have several dogs and cats so I am not in need of any more pets, but I thought it would be fun to take "Dunstan," the lost dog, home on Sunday. Some signs were made and left in prominent places, I thought I would find his owners before I even got home. Well, the rest of the day passed and no phone calls.

Monday morning I received a cryptic phone message stating that "I had a found dog sign at the Mount Paran store and that there was a lost chihuahua sign at the same store." I called and got the people at the country store to give me the number from the lost dog sign. I called and Dunstan/Charlie was found.

I offered to meet the Christy, the owner, at Galloway because I was picking up Emma. She said that her son was at the Schenck school and they had recommended Galloway for him next year. That opened up a lengthy conversation because Emma had been to Schenck for four years and is doing beautifully at Galloway and I was able to tell her all about our successful transition. Of course I invited them to come to St D's. She is Baptist and her husband is Catholic. Perfect. Hope to see them in church one day.

A note about Charlie: Christy and her family had only had him for 4 days before he ran away. She lives on Monte Carlo just up the street, but owns a house in Virginia Highland. Last week she was working on her house and saw a woman walking Charlie.

She commented on what a cute dog he was, the woman told her that she could have him. He was her Dad's dog and her Dad had died last week. She tried to take the dog to the Humane Society but they were full, so she was going to take him to the pound. Without another thought Christy took him. A few minutes later there was a knock on her door and all the dog's bed, food, leash, etc., was left on the porch. Not too sentimental. A happy ending and little Charlie, the evangelist, is finally home.

Sarah Hancock

No comments: