Sunday, February 13, 2011

Not Necessarily Holy

I can honestly say I didn’t feel like going to church this morning. I didn’t feel like not going per se, I just didn’t feel the usual driving urge to get there. I didn’t sleep well last night -- again. There have been too many moving parts in my life lately, none of which I’ve had a moment to stop and consider – all seem to wash over me, as if I were floating in the surf, holding my breath, waiting for the next chance to inhale. Exhale.

So truth? The only reason I got to church was out of habit. The only reason I was a half hour early for the early service was some latent desire for punctuality (I’m often enough late). I got there first, beating Patricia into the empty parking lot and the dark building by a nose. I turned on lights in the parish hall and around, cranked up the coffee and unlocked the back door. I had just sat down with a cup, looking out over the little garden with the St. Francis and the copper water buckets that catch the rain from the roof when Patricia walked in.

“Why so early?” she said.

“Accident. I got here early so I wouldn’t be late,” I told her, and then as an afterthought, “I sure hope I’m not VOD today.” Of course, Susan, our church secretary always sends us reminders during the week when we’re the vestry on duty (VOD isn’t an incurable disease). “I would of heard,” I said.

“Not necessarily. Susan was sick all last week,” Patricia informed me. I followed her to the sanctuary and sure enough, printed on the back of a two-week old bulletin, there was my name. I would have seen the bulletin last week of course, if I hadn’t been out of town on a work trip. Being VOD, means opening and closing the church. It means making sure the scheduled acolytes and layreaders are acolyting and layreading. It means reminding folks it’s their turn to do coffee.

So I settled into the early service, resolved in my duty. But other than the reading about if your eye offends you, gouge it out (which never fails to irritate me) and the Eucharist (which never fails to remind me of some tangible connection to God), I have to say, I sat there, going through the motions, hearing the sermon but not being engaged with it, saying the confession of sins (given my long list, this is usually one of my best opportunities of the week to get it all out—at least mentally, during the “Most merciful father, we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed . . .”) but not feeling all that sorry or contrite. Even the prayer after communion, one of my very favorites, “Eternal God, heavenly father, we thank you for feeding us with the spiritual food in the sacrament of the most precious body and blood of your son, our savior Jesus Christ . . .” didn’t move me any more than a Hallmark card. It was all lost on me, all wasted.

I sat through Sunday School, the series on Saving Jesus. Today was the meaning of the parables like the leavened bread and the mustard seed. We always stray from the original topic anyway. Someone said the problem with the church was Paul, who didn’t quote a single Jesus parable. The church as an institution, we all agreed, as we always do, has its issues—like the gouge out your eye thing or like the Catholic church where you can’t take communion if you’re divorced unless the marriage is annulled (a few of us were standing around the kitchen before Sunday School actually contemplating that one)—and you can annul a marriage even if you have children, a strange practice for a house of God, I have to say.

Now normally, I would probably enjoy spending a little time hashing over the wherefores and whys of all that imperfection that comes with the institution we call our church. But I didn’t.

After the regular service, when all the choir robes were hung, I’d counted the collection and watched Betty Whittier crumble up the leftover communion bread and put it out the back door for the birds, after everyone had gone but Rick and Christine Beard (who did have coffee duty marked on their calendar), I headed to the kitchen to help with the remaining coffee cups.

The Beards make me smile. Rick told an off-color joke about Easter, which made Patricia grimace while I laughed out loud (ask Rick, when Patricia’s not around). Christine put forth a very fun question: Who all at St. Dunstan’s is “naturally holy”? Well none of us nominated ourselves or each other for that matter, and in the end agreed that even sinners like us had a chance to be holy once in a while.

But for me, this morning wasn’t my morning to be holy. I wasn’t particularly moved to be at church. It’s just that’s where my economy-sized car is trained to go Sunday morning—it really just didn’t occur to me not to go. What did come into my mind though, was the fact that I am so grateful for our imperfect institution, our church, our parish, the habit that brought me to our modest but close-knit community, to spend those unwanted—too tired and too confused hours—among people I love and whom I think love me back.

And maybe that’s all that Jesus would have cared about—that we get together in the first place and find the Kingdom of God is not a small self-contained space in front of our computer screen and it isn’t always earth-shaking revelations or earnest attempts to become better than we are. Sometimes maybe the Kingdom of God is just about showing up. Or, as Patricia said in the sermon, about choosing life. Maybe I did hear something after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case anyone reading doesn't know, the character limit for a post is 4,096, which I discovered after the long reply I wrote was rejected ha. I am having to retype it as more than one post to get it accepted:). Thankyou to anyone with the patience to read my whole reply. I say anyone, because I know that what I've written is applicable to more persons than Sibley.
Hi Sibley:), you don't know me, I've only been to St.Dunstan's once, awhile back. I liked it very much; I just have trouble getting up in the morning and then I never got around to preparing something for the Wednesday supper to go to that service, plus sometimes I'm shy:). I haven't given up, but decided to take a break. I felt led to focus my efforts on people already in my life that I'm behind on.
I've at least been watching Christian programs and services on t.v.:), and often discuss Christian topics with my parents when I see them, and I read books and scripture and pray. Yes, I sound defensive. I just didn't want it to sound like I didn't think it was important for me to ever make it back to church, in person ha:). I always feel better when I go to church. I hope to make it a habit one day as you have:).

Anyway, your post made me really want to recommend the book "Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing down to be with God" by Bill Hybels. You may have already heard of it or read it. I am reading it again because I feel God has really been hammering it into me that I have to return to some dedicated prayer time each day, not just 'prayer on the run'. When I first read it years ago, it revolutionized my prayer life and my faith. At that time, the most important thing I think, that it taught me, was the difference Balanced prayer makes- adoration, thanksgiving, supplication, confession, and intercessory. The author also included the listening, but I hadn't even been balancing what I Said to God.

I started using the author's prayer 'template' in the back, and journaling daily, which the author recommends. It definitely helped me. I dont' remember how I fell out of that habit:). It was during an unhappy marriage which grew worse over time, and then the separation and decision to divorce were very painful, even tho' I considered my escape from that marriage a Godsend.

Anyway, as I said, I've felt God teaching me more than ever that it is worth the time, and critical actually, to have daily time dedicated just to Him- true inner room prayer, that is balanced between praying and listening. Scripture as a way of 'listening' to God isn't enough. Neither are sermons and reading others' thoughts. One thing God's been really emphasizing this time around (the prayer lesson is recurring in my life:)) is the listening aspect of prayer. I don't mean obedience, tho' more attention to and faith in possible leadings from Him are also being 're-taught' ha. I mean listening for Anything (insights, comfort, ideas...) His still, small voice may be saying to me, not just throughout the day, but also during that dedicated time. At some point during it I must try to quiet and still my mind best I can, and say, "Okay, I'm listening", and then be silent for a little while.

The minister who wrote the book was not good about this himself. He said he had a busy personality and lots to do every day. He says he kept feeling led tho', to study prayer. He studied it throughout the Bible and also read book after book on it. He was reminded that even Jesus, with all the important things he Had to do, went off by Himself regularly to pray. He found that many prayer experts journaled.

He doesn't insist journaling is the only way, but he says the biggest benefit of it for him is that it Slows him down... Continued in next post ha:):

Anonymous said...

Yikes!:)- I forgot to put "continued in one last post" at the end of the last one. I hope anyone reading will realize there may be more and this is it! I lift that up to God's will:). Again, I thank any reader for their patience:).

Anyway, here's the conclusion:
The biggest lesson from all that was God saying- Don't say you don't have time right now or today to give me some of your undivided attention. Don't put off what you volunteered to help your neighbor with yet another day (Listening to a leading). Don't say you have to do these other things first or this, that or the other will happen, because I'm (God) the one in charge of what happens. I can Undo the time you put into other things; I can allow More things to go wrong so you lose time, And I can Save you time by taking care of what I know you need. I know even better than you do what will bring you the most peace and joy in this life.

I have had many wonderful instances in my life of the 'other' kind of uncanny as well- things going Right, wonderful surprises, amazing coincidences, things I knew could only have happened through God. Now I have a Much better appreciation of the Dark side- some of what Satan can do when God allows him. I'd had experience with that before, but I don't remember ever having the totally Uncanny dark experience. Ironically, one of the benefits of knowing without a doubt I was being attacked, was that it reassured me I Was important to God ha. I knew he was definitely paying attention to me and actively involved in my life. Since I knew God wasn't sadistic, and as Christ, He had willingly suffered more than I had out of His love for us, and that He doesn't allow attacks without reason, then I knew He had a personal plan for me.

I want to quickly add something that has helped me very much with discernment this time around, one of the lessons I know God definitely taught me through this suffering, and that is the value of mindfulness meditation (from Buddhism). I can see now I was being led to that over many years, maybe even all my life. I have found that even tiny, spontaneous moments of practicing mindfulness- living and listening in the Moment-have really helped me be renewed- even if only partially:), and to better listen for God's still, small voice. I recommend the book "Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness (Unabridged)" by Susan Smalley. If you're trying to save money, there is also info on the web.

I have had a painting of Mary and Martha and Jesus as my computer wallpaper for a long time. Maybe, just maybe, I have finally truly and fully come to believe what Jesus said to Martha when she complained that her sister Mary was sitting listening to Jesus instead of helping her: "Martha, Martha", the Lord answered,"you are worried and upset about many things, but only one things is needed. Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her"(Lk. 10:41,42).

Thankyou to anyone who read all that:), and I lift you up to God's will, Jennifer F. Koronaios

Anonymous said...

Wow- my Middle post is missing! I wrote 3 posts, and the middle one isn't on this page... Okay, I'm going to look on the original page. If I don't find it, I'll have to return to it later; I'm too tired:). J.F.Koronaios

Anonymous said...

Well, not only can I not find my post, which was Very long ha, but I don't see any way to contact the blog site. Has anyone else ever had a post not show up? That middle post was really important, and the last post doesn't make a whole lot of sense without it, but it's probably lost forever. Hopefully there's some reason:). I'll at least say about the middle post, in case you're confused by the last post's content: In the middle post I described how for several months not long ago the number of things going wrong, and the rate at which they were going wrong, showed me I was definitely being attacked by Satan, but that it led me to wonderfully invaluable lessons from God. I knew God allowed the attack at the time but it was hard to believe it could be worth it. Now I know it was. There was so much more, obviously, but I definitely feel led ha at the moment to give my poor eyes and brain and wrists a break and get outside, get some food, interact a bit with some people ha. I don't know if I'll ever rewrite that middle post; it took a long time and was very long, but I know for now I have to let it go ha/not:). I have to remember it may have been lost for a reason anyway. Thanks for reading!:), J.F.Koronaios

Steve Mark said...

Jennifer, thanks for commenting. I manage the blog, but have not previously been aware of posts not showing up. I do get copies of the comments, so here is what looks like your middle post (split in two - maybe your middle post was too long). Steve Mark

(J.F.Koronaios' first half of the middle comment)

It helps him slow down his mind and body. He limits himself to one page for things about "Yesterday" (he journals in the morning), and one page for his prayers. He then reads the prayers aloud while on his knees. He says it changed his life. He says the best part was not the many answered prayers, and better discernment of leadings, but the intimate relationship with God it gave him. He gained a sense of God's Presence with him.

By the way, he got the book title from Martin Luther, who said something like, I have so much to do today, I'll have to spend another hour on my knees.:). The author also quotes someone as saying that 'when We work, We work, but when we Pray, God works'. To me, that's a bit of an oversimplification- I know I still have to work ha- if only to make adequate time for prayer and scripture in my life:), but I do know it's definitely true that when you try to start, and continue things on your own (instead of beginning all your endeavors with God), it's much harder. God Really does Want us to ask for help!:)- I loved learning that! It took years. I used to think I was supposed to do everything I could, then only ask God for help if I had to.. I felt guilty otherwise. But He's not human. He doesn't have the limits we do.

Anyway, I've even just bought this book on CD so I can hear it periodically. I need to be reminded, and this way I can be doing other things with it in the background, like I do with my audio bible (best investment I ever made:)). Now I know that rebuilding this habit will be its own reward, and that in itself will help remind me, but I never want to forget the necessity of it again. I've decided that even if I have to start with tiny amounts of quiet time listening and balanced prayer each day to get going, it will help, and it will build up. In the past, I've been amazed at how even just setting the timer for One Minute of 'Inner Room' prayer and quiet time helped a lot. I can't make excuses really for not making at least one minute of time for my personal relationship with God each day ha:). When I start small, it's much easier to commit.

Steve Mark said...

(J.F.Koronaios' second half of the middle comment)

One of the Biggest lessons God's been teaching me in the last half- year is that I'm Not in control anyway. There have been Big things I put my all into, only to have that work lost, but the end result was still what I was aiming for. It's hard to explain without going into detail. It was like a big (important) project so to speak, and we were so tense and pressured feeling about our part, which was understandable considering the gravity of the situation. Our part didn't have much to do with it ultimately working out tho'. There were papers I sent in the mail that were never even read. There was a related phone call in the past that might as well have never even happened- the information didn't go into my file as it was supposed to. However, in the end we still got what we were aiming for.

Through a lot of extreme stress for several months, God showed me that without a doubt, I am Not the one in control. Last summer I began preparing to move here from Birmingham, Al. I moved here in mid-July, thinking the hard part was over and I could rest. Almost everything that could go wrong with the transition did. For about 5 months, about 4 1/2 months of that After I arrived here, things were going wrong at an uncanny rate. It wasn't long before I knew I was being attacked. I knew God didn't allow attacks without reason, and so I began trying to figure out why it was happening. It became a serious spiritual trial, and when the pain reached its worst, I couldn't believe it was worth it. I had no idea at the time how much it would ultimately help me. Once things began significantly calming down, I had to admit I couldn't really regret it, painful as it was.
(continue to the Conclusion)