Thursday, February 3, 2011

This is the Day

By Lynn Hood

As I lay in bed, drifting out of sleep and into the day, I began thinking of all the things I needed to do. The worries of the day, the week, the year, began to pile up. It felt overwhelming, as though I was lying underneath so many blankets that I couldn’t move or even breathe.

And then a phrase from the Sunday service popped into my head: “Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.”

I started saying this phrase a few months ago, and it’s not too hard to remember when you are watching a gorgeous sunrise or looking at your family. But it had slipped from my mind until this morning.

I lay there in bed, looking out of the window as that phrase went through my head. A black-headed nuthatch – one of my favorite birds – landed on the tree a few feet away. Then a host of birds arose from the feeder below the window and landed in the trees.

That was the word that instantly occurred to me: a host. A red-bellied woodpecker arrived, his head resplendently red even on a gray day. And indeed, they were holy.

And so the day began, a day the Lord had made. Regardless of the problems trying to weigh me down, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

1 comment:

christinembird said...

Look at the birds of the air. They neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you of much more value than they?

--Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount