Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mind Reading

I was reading a story in the Economist last night that said scientifically speaking, we can already read people’s minds through new technology and discoveries. Think of seeing a movie of what's in someone else’s head, the potential of that both terrible and beautiful.

Up until now, the only One who’s been considered capable of mind reading is God. And if that’s true, I’m not sure it’s a skill She’d want to use that often. It’d hardly be fair to wish on her every single last thing we’re thinking. A lot of it would be a huge waste of Her time to suffer through. Did I pay the phone bill? Should I clean the top half of the window or just pull the blinds down and do the bottom? Why would God ever want to spend Her time that way? Why do we?

Yes, human beings are basically good, we want good things for ourselves and our families, but we can also be incredibly petty and small and jealous and lazy and content in our misery. (I say “us” but I’m talking about “me.”) Everything—literally everything under the sun or that we could ever imagine--is in our nature to do. But which traits do we choose to cultivate? And if God did have to sit in once and a while and listen to us thinking, what would we want Her to hear?

No comments: