Sunday, November 27, 2011

Remembering Jocelyn Bowman


I was scanning back over my posts on the St. Dunstan’s blog, looking for mentions of Jocelyn. I tend to write what I see, and for one extended period, Nancy Dillon kept landing in the blog by virtue of being at the center of whatever church activity I happened to be writing about (standing around the King cake, chatting in a circle in the church library about house blessings and so on).



And that’s how I’ve written about Jocelyn. She was such a part of St. Dunstan’s. I couldn’t help but smile whenever I saw her, often enough late for the early service. She was generally in time to pass peace and take communion. Our thing was that we hung back after the service, huddled together in a pew and began spilling all about our lives--we have both had our share of rough patches these past couple of years. I don’t think she ever judged—cause she was always so ready with heartfelt sympathy and a hug. She gave you the impression her prayer list was a good one to be on. It was a good one.


The calling post message about her death was sent the day before Thanksgiving. Not much information. She’d been in a car accident on Monday and died in the hospital on Wednesday, down around Columbus, Ga.



I miss her and I know everyone else does. If you have a memory or a prayer you’d like to share about Jocelyn, please respond to this post.

8 comments:

Connors mom said...

Beautiful Jocelyn, a warm soul to whom I loved to pass the peace. We recently rode back together from serving at Holy Comforter. She and Connor were in the back seat. Jocelyn said that she tutored math and began quizzing Connor, who loves math. First multiplication, then division. Working up to square roots, then I heard a pause but they picked up and continued the pace for the entire 30 minutes or so. When Connor learned of Jocelyn's passing, he stopped for a moment. Then he recalled, "She was really good at math." Indeed, dear Jocelyn was really good at many things.

Irish Riley said...

Jocelyn I know you are resting in paradise and I know as you entered the gates your smile just made it even brighter. I grew to love you as my friend and we shared so many memories together. Your advice help me thru my days at work and many others days. You had so many gifts and talent Im sure God will continue to use you in his choir. Continue to sing sweet melodies and allow your smile to shine down on us. Love you much, Irish

Margaret said...

Dear Jocelyn, We tried so hard to get you and My Daughter-in-law Lina to get together to sing. We didn't quite make it. Now you can sing for all of us in the heavenly Choir. You are so missed

Michelle said...

I'm not by nature a huggy person. But Jocelyn and I put our arms around each other in a warm embrace every Sunday without fail. She was turning me into a hugger.

Before church or later at coffee hour, we'd always find time to chat. I've tried to remember what big issues we talked about, but can't. We talked about her nephew and my son because they're about the same age and both are navigating the tricky world of middle school. We talked about her little dog, clothes and our hair. Because our conversations often took place with coffee or cookie in hand, we sometimes talked about food. Jocelyn once told a funny story about the caramel cake of her childhood. It seems it took hours and hours to make the cake, and it was her favorite. The memory was as sweet as the sugary brown frosting, and I could hear a little bit of longing in her voice for years gone by. In all our talks, we didn't solve a single world crisis, but we knew we cared about one another.

One of the awful things about a sudden, unexpected death is that we don't get to say goodbye. What would I have said to Jocelyn had I known that November 20 was the last time I'd see her in this life? The answer is immediate and sure: Not a word. I know without a doubt that we would have simply given each other one long, last hug.

Marilyn Stansbury said...

I spent time with Jocelyn teaching Sunday School. She always brought such a joyful, calming and peaceful presence. I'm with Michelle, we had so many great conversations before church and during coffee hour. I can't remember all the specifics now but I will always cherish how wonderful it felt to hug and be embraced by her. Peace be with you.

Connors mom said...

Listening to "Candle in the Wind" memorial tribute to England's rose makes me realize how Jocelyn was such a beautiful rose in our garden, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdVLClrfrOk&feature=related
Thoughts of you will always bring me joy! May the Lord's Peace be with you forever ~ Elizabeth

Michelle said...

A rose in our garden. What a beautiful way to think of Jocelyn. Did you know there is a Jocelyn Rose?
It's lovely and unusual.

http://paulbardenroses.com/modern/jocelyn.html

Will said...

I met Jocelyn when we first started going to St. Dunstan's. She was one of my Sunday School teachers. I remember she always brought a smile and she always tried to do something fun. Whenever one of the kids would do something bad, she would always tell us to look on the bright side because she always had a cheerful attitude. She said whenever you did something bad, God would forgive you.